Friday, December 12, 2008

Unexpected Pain Today - Three Weeks + 2 days post-op for ulnar nerve transposistion - Second follow up appointment

Friday

At about 2 pm today at work started noticing arm feeling weird and getting worse. Within an hour or two I would hold out my hand and ring and pinky fingers were trembling and feeling tingly again. Its now 10 pm and I've been resting arm since work.. it still feels bad, like I took a step back about two weeks. It feels tighter again too. I can only think that I must have done something 'just right' and it caused it to swell - I've been using it a lot lately having to work late (without pain) and there was no single incident today that I can recall, although I was moving something in a room at work and remember noticing my forearm muscle was flexed.. so maybe I did work it a little too much... although I wasn't trying to 'push myself'.

A similar thing happened when I had in situ decompression performed on the other arm - I lifted something fairly soon after the surgery, and my hand got significantly worse and it actually swelled up Its hard to say if the swelling was from the surgery.. but it sure seemed like the day after the surgery it wasn't swollen, and two days later when I used the arm it swelled up.. which makes sense. You might be saying "duh.. dont push yourself" and I only used the arm because at the doctors office they said after surgery you can use it - your body will let you know if you shouldn't be doing something. So.. I guess it did. Even though the in situ felt so minor after the surgery - it really didn't seem that invasive.

So... Im taking ibuprofen probably at higher doses the next few days to help keep it down.

No comments: