Monday, November 24, 2008

Five days post-op for ulnar nerve transposistion

Monday

First day back at work. I was trying to use my arm without putting pressure on it to tie my shoes - not successful as it became untied three times today.. so I pulled my move from when I was a youngster and didn't know how to tie my shoe - I tucked it in : )

I didn't have it up as much as I could as I was running around a lot at work today. It was about a 10 hour day there .. a lot of the time I tried to hold my arm up.. other times I didn't and let it down and get more circulation as I moved it. I can move it almost 90 degrees today. The bruise is yellowing a lot more. Working didn't seem to have a terrible effect on it.... but still wish I could've rested it today more... at least I flexed it a lot as I was walking around. I want to keep my elbow as extended as reasonably possible (it doesnt hurt when I try..just feels tight and Im not going to force it straight until it is more healed unless doc tells me otherwise)

Last night I woke up a lot again... definitely from having my arm on the side on a pillow. When I put the pillow slightly on me and had my hand lying on me it was a bit better. For a bit I let it just lay directly on me and that felt much better.. cant wait - two more nights until I dont have to keep it elevated.

My hand still has a lack of sensation in all fingers. I can only attribute this to trauma/swlelling. I would think if it was only the ulnar nerve being affected then only the pinky and ring fingers would feel that way - but the whole hand does.

Also if I put my hand straight above my head I feel a slight pain right at the start of the armpit. I felt this in the 'in situ' procedure but that was because my nerve was blocked by injecting it several times and as such hurt a lot. For this procedure it is just sensitive.

My right arm is acting up some because it is now the only arm being used.

No twitching/flexing spontaneously is happening anymore.

No comments: