Friday, November 21, 2008

Two days post-op for ulnar nerve transposistion

Slept ok last night, but Im turning on my side to sleep with my arm up on my hip because my back was hurting a bit, so now my shoulder is getting a little sore from sleeping on it.

I have to stop myself from using the hand for small things...like adjusting the pillow the arm is resting on, etc.

woke up this am and noticed my surgery hand was colder than my right hand... I attributed it to being raised and swollen to less circulation. I covered it up and then stood up for a few minutes to help circulation, it seemed to help.

My hand definitely feels less sensitive than pre surgery still (ie I can tell there is some loss of ability to tell the same level of detail as my right hand) and swollen even though it doesn't look very swollen.. maaaaybe slightly swollen. The issue probably is the arm itself is swollen and your tendons move in your arm. Its not all unexpected as the nerve of course went through a lot of trauma getting moved (some of the capillaries are cut during the procedure and of course the nerve is jarred and moved).

Just sitting here with the arm still up.. a little more mobile now.. I can bend prob 40 degrees without much pain I just have to go slow.

One word though... bored. thank goodness for being able to type decently fast one handed (and tv and the net).

I do recommend for anyone else having this procedure to practice usual activities with the other hand (ie getting dressed, brushing teeth, getting drink/food). I'm mostly left handed, so I brush teeth with right now, etc, At least so you get a little used to the coming downtime and it wont be so frustrating.

I didnt feel the need for pain meds during the day today. Its not painful when its just sitting there... more swollen and slow when moving hand. When I flex the elbow (using onlt that arm itself, ie not pushing on it with the other arm) it gets sore the more bent the elbow is.. but necessary for keeping the nerve glding/moving and helping to prevent scar tissue formation.

No comments: